January 21, 2008

Xmonad side bye side KDE

As you may know, I recently switched to ArchLinux... those guys are doing an excellent work and, after some months, I got completely addicted to that kdemod thing... I missed Xmonad though, which jumped from 0.2 to 0.5 in the meanwhile and I badly wanted to give it a try and test out the new features...

What to do? Well, it's indeed possible to run xmonad and kde side-by-side on the same PC. You could fire up a new Xserver on a different display but switching between them may not be fast enough.

Instead, my solution relies on Xnest, an X server running in a window of another X server.

Here's the command line I use:

kstart --desktop 2 --fullscreen -- xinit ~/.xinitrc.xmonad -- /usr/bin/Xnest :10 -geometry 1600x1200 -ac

where .xinit.xmond simply contains:

/usr/bin/xmonad

The command will open a new full-screen Xnest window, with no window decoration, on virtual desktop number 2. Now, you can use the usual shortcuts to switch between virtual desktops to go back and forth KDE and Xmonad.

Best of the two worlds!

UPDATE! Too bad, cut&paste doesn't work between Xnset and the real X server beneath. Any hints?

0 comments: